So I've had some better luck with the sledge, but only time will tell if it works or not. I added some expanding foam to the main head section, for future stability and to fill the cracks that were caused by the unfortunate incident detailed in the last post. Everybody has one big one, and I'm hoping this was it for mine.
After adding the foam, however, the top ended up being heavier than the shaft, and a whole lot more bouncy. I was forced to remove the shaft, cut a hole into the head, and extend the pipe that has been sitting in the shaft since I first connected the two parts. Once I had the hole cut, I started securing the cracks.
I've since covered the duct tape (which turned out to be the smooth variety amazingly) with bondo, or at least most of it. I still have some sections to cover, but hopefully soon I will be able to get back to painting this beast. The shaft is still separated, which I will have to re-secure and bondo again.
In other news, I have added a layer off fiberglass cloth to the helmet, as well as a layer of rondo. This thing is hard as a rock.
I've also added a layer of bondo to the outside to smooth down the hard edges. Here's a picture halfway:
I've covered the whole helmet and have started sanding the bumps and edges, though my phone died so no pics just yet. One of these days I'll remember to bring my camera with me (and hopefully eventually upgrade to a better quality one).
Things are starting to look up again! Still pretty upset over the accident, but at least it didn't shatter the whole thing.