This is a rather simple build, so it's a quick write-up. Figure it's a good one to start on though, since I haven't done a write-up in aaaaaaages..... Anyway, I started with some 1" dowels.
Since my bandsaw is only 9" wide, and I didn't have access to a chop saw, I ended up cutting each bit out by hand with a hacksaw. Monotonous, sure, but it got the job done.
Once all the sides were angled, I started drilling the holes I'd need to connect the pieces together.
Holes drilled, now I started staining the wood. I could have painted them all with a solid brown color, but the stain made it look more like the movie prop, and won't chip off if they bounce into something.
For those of you interested in how I did the wrapping, here's a step by step. First, I put one end through one piece, poked it through an upper side hole, through the whole bottom side hole, then used some spare electrical wire to pull it back through the final upper side hole and through the top. Snug fit with the tiny hole on top. Then I pushed both ends of the leather through the top of the other piece, split them through either upper side holes, then threaded one through the bottom and tied them off on one side. I cut off any excess after setting the length, and secured the knot with some superglue just in case.
Once I had all eight connected, making the full set of 2 pairs, I hung them up to let the stain set a bit more and stuck my hands in an ice bucket. They *hurt*!