Well, finally, I had my chance. Sold my N7 mark 2 set to pay some bills a while ago, and I needed something to wear in its stead, and this became that thing.
Started with a 3D file from the RPF (and fellow N7eliter) by Darhood. Unfolded everything myself, but it wasn't going to be enough. I knew I wanted as few seams as possible, including the harsh corners that are a constant theme for this armor. So, once I had everything close to what I wanted, I printed it all out and continued to adjust things, both for a better fit and, again, to keep the seams as few as possible. The helmet still came out the same way, since there wasn't much more I could do with it and still have it fit right.
I also picked up a transparent black and red acrylic sheet for the visor. Couldn't decide which one I wanted to use; the reference pic looked black, but with all the black everywhere I kinda once again wanted a bit of contrast with more red. Everyone else seemed to agree that red would be better, so I put it aside and used the black for other things.
This is where things got reeeeally interesting.
Helmet was basically done at this point, other than the visor and lights, but I wouldn't be able to work on those for a couple months since I was getting ready to move to the other side of the country. That was fun! /s
Once that was over, and I had everything unpacked (though with much less room unlike the promised garage I'd have) I started on the arms.
Lots and lots of taping.
Progress up to this point:
Anyway, on to the torso! Started with the neck:
You can also see that I added some craft foam bits for the back of the neck, and cut out spots for the lighting. Thank goodness I had done that before painting on these, though I did have to do some widening, which we'll get to later. I also finished fully painting the arms, and freehanded the spine section for the back.
Now that all that was done, I grabbed a cheap pair of boots from Amazon, finished the other boot cover, and put them all together.
About this time, my lights came in. Found a light strip from superbrightleds.com that had the lights really close together and could light from either end. They were also covered with a waterproofing plastic, which helped diffuse the lights. Perfect, I thought! Much easier to solder these than deal with individual lights and resistors!
Boy was I mistaken. I was in for a real heap of trouble. *foreshadowing*
Instead of testing my theory, I cut at the designated marks on each side, attaching the prewired bits together and putting a small set of lights into the helmet.
Since it was all coming together so well, it was time for test fit number 1! Not all of it was strapped, which is what I needed the test fit for. The pauldrons especially, since I wasn't sure if I'd be strapping them to my arms or letting them hang from the neck piece like I did with my N7 armor set. Here's the test result!
Now that I knew what all the parts needed, I did a few small adjustments for a better fit and started Plasti Dipping the rest of the pieces. The torso I did last, and I barely finished the last coat on it as the last of my Dip finished off. Just barely enough!
Here's the little setup I rigged for each boot:
In other news, I painted up the hips:
The back section worked decently well:
And then it happened.
Now that that's all done, time for test fit number 2!