Shortly after finishing the first set of Female N7 armor I've ever made, I was commissioned to make a second set. This one was special though, as it was going to be based off the Japanese bishoujo statue that had recently been released. Super sleek, very clean, and very metallic.
Due to the sleek look, I had to make some changes to the overall patterns. I also didn't want to use craft foam for the raised sections on the thighs, back, or anywhere else I could get away with it, just to add to the look and also not have to use as many parts. To start, though, since the design was based off the ME3 look, I decided to start on the shoulder bells.
You'll notice that, like with the Terminus armor, I used the smooth side of the foam exclusively. Since the statue was entirely smooth, I didn't want to change that look at all.
Connecting the bell pieces together was remarkably easy, though heat forming them to the proper shape was an experience. I couldn't bend them too far, lest the glue separate (this was before I knew about contact cement, I was using super glue), which meant they continually tried to revert back to a flatter shape if I didn't get them quite hot enough.
You can also see my latest attempt in getting the elbow diamonds to look cleaner.
Once those were ready, I finished the rest of the arm pieces and got to work on the legs.
The hip section was definitely the most interesting to make, since they were basically made out of the same piece of foam. I would cut out the base layer, use a hobby knife to cut out the next layer from the base piece, then again for the top layer from the second. I then raised each section slightly, and glued them back together. I also cut out the belt section, which would attach to the top of the hip piece.
After that came the shins. I cut out a large piece in kind of a cone shape, to form to the leg muscles better, then attached the knees. I also cut out the coolest pieces of the whole build: the shoes.
Once those were done, the torso came together as quickly as ever.
(Sleeping baby photobomb!)
Finished up the chest piece, and the weapon/shield thingies, then Plasti Dipped everything.
Given the metallic sheen of the whole armor, and the multi-colored layers, I opted to go through each piece one by one, painting then taping and repeating. The progress shots of the shoes show the whole process each piece went through. First, I sprayed a black metallic:
Then after it had set I taped off the sections that would be remaining black. Next, I sprayed on the darker grey, waited, and taped it off again. Last came the silver:
And more waiting. Of course, while it was drying I would move on to another piece, but I didn't have much room so even then goings were slow.
As always though, the wait was totally worth it.
After I removed all the tape, I would hit it with a coat of adhesive promoter, a clear spray that helps everything keep from rubbing off too quickly. Since the statue's armor was smooth and sleek, I ended up not weathering anything to keep with that same look.
Each leg piece went through basically the same process, which was easier as I went up each layer and taping off the layer below.
The arms were simple as well, since they were pretty much the uniform dark grey.
Of course, the right arm needs its telltale stripe! Rather than the standard white/red, the statue sticks with the silver/red, so that's what I went with too. First came the tape, then the base silver.
Then wait, then more tape, then the red. Nice and straight forward.
And, finally, I taped up the torso and did it all over again.
Third shot kinda has a nice, super-heroine look, doesn't it? :)
Well, all that was left was strapping, but at this point I revealed on my Facebook page the overall design. Seemed to go over pretty well, which was a relief! I had been second guessing myself at the brightness of the colors, but everyone seemed to like it anyway.
Unfortunately I had to rush to get the straps on and send it out, so I've only got one other progress shot left to share. For reference, though, I attached elastic bands on the insides of the biceps, to make it stay on comfortably but to also be easy to remove. I also kept the hip sections separate, attaching the upper ones to the belt and the lower ones just to the leg, to facilitate movement. Other than that, just the regular side straps and belt on the torso and wrist strap on the forearm, again leaving room for adjustment by the client once they received it.
I think it turned out pretty well, considering, though if I did it again I'd make some changes to it. Still, it's pretty close to the statue at least! :)