Still going, on this day of write-up catch up! Now we come to an oldie with a twist. Back in 2012 I was commissioned to make a Cerberus Harrier, which you can read the write-up for here. This time I was commissioned to make another, just as large, but they wanted a special, unique paint job: they wanted it Alliance.
You'll want to click the link above to get all the meaty details on the assembly process, since I'm going to skip quite a few of the opening bits: the stacking/layering/gluing of the foam, cutting it all out, beveling the edges, and gluing all that together. Nope, I'm going to skip right to the juicy bits, since by now you should all know the steps I take to make these foam props.
And if you don't, click the link above so you do, then meet us back here.
Everybody ready? Let's go.
First up, due to the move I was unable to find the alternate barrels I had made as an experiment with the first Harrier. Thanks to that, I had to make a new set of barrels, but I didn't have the PVC pipes or connectors like I did before. So, I got a little creative and blatantly "borrowed" a trick from Punished Props.
I had a couple cups full of excess casting resin, building up when I have a bit left over when I make castings. I put these on my lathe, got covered in thin white ribbons, and turned out the two barrels. Then I took them to my drill press and drilled out the holes in the fronts with a forstner bit.
From there, it was a simple job attaching them to the front of the Harrier.
Naturally, from here came the detailing, done like the M8 version 3 and M99 Saber: light etching with the xacto knife and a heat gun to open the cut bits up a bit. Of course, then came the Plasti Dip, as always.
Now comes the really fun part: painting this thing the Alliance colors. Cerberus has it white, yellow, and black, with the logo on the stock. Alliance? Blue, silver, and black, and a totally different logo. That really makes things interesting, and gives it a whole different feel.
First up, the bottom layer of blue.
Since blue is replacing the white, and since it's easier to tape from the bottom-most layer and work my way up, I started with the bit around the thumb hole area, the front of the grip, and the slit in the stock. Then I taped those up, and covered the whole thing in silver.
I don't have a picture of that step, but the next one was the same: tape up the silver for the final set of blue.
Once that all dried, I took the tape off, which is always my favorite part after painting. Totally feel like I'm opening a Christmas present to find all the awesomeness inside! And, naturally, the Alliance Harrier was no exception. Of course, I also had to tape it all back up, just to paint on the black decals and add the Alliance symbol where the Cerberus one would normally sit.
I didn't add the lettering or anything like that, because I didn't have the extra set I had made and I didn't want to etch out a whole new stencil for it. Not that it mattered, as I think it looks awesome as it is. :)
Of course, now it needed to look even better, so on came the weathering! More black acrylic wash, with dry brushing various colors. I tried layering a few different colors to make the effect pop out better, and I think I'm getting better at that. Just need to work on which colors look more natural together at the end result.
The final product:
I kept it still kind-of new, like it was only recently off the assembly line - or just repainted after acquiring it on a raid or something. Still though, I'm really happy with how it turned out, and it was certainly a big hit when I revealed the alternate scheme on my Facebook page. Hope you enjoyed!