My first build, and the one I am farthest on, is the Super Sledge from the Fallout series, specifically Fallout 3. I figured that since everyone makes the laser rifle, I would go big or go home with this one. It's perfect for a cosplay scene, and dang it it's awesome! This one is part of a large armor/weapon build, which I will update in a later blog. I'm preparing this one for both NDK in Denver, CO and Anime Banzai in Layton, UT.
First, the reference pic I'm using:
Picture courtesy of the wiki page.
I decided to use the pepakura method for this one, because the amount of detail on the head would be much easier to accomplish with it. I used a file found on the 405th and unfolded it myself, printed, and got to work.
Here's some progress shots from the build, all found on my Twitter feed.
And here's the nearly assembled sledge, next to me!
For now, you can also see this pic on the About page. At this stage, I determined that the staff section wouldn't be strong enough to hold the weight of the hammer, so I went looking for a pipe. Unfortunately, there aren't any 1.75" pipes, which would have fit perfectly. I was forced to get a 1.5" pipe, and pad it. With that, not only was the staff more durable, but also I had something to grip without worry of somehow smashing it.
After that, I added some final details, and the hammer was ready for strengthening and details!
There was a close call, though, as you can see with the smudges. I had it stored away from everything, but it got shoved aside and a couple of spots caved in. I had to pop them out by lightly supergluing each spot to my finger, waiting a bit, then pulling them gently out again. To make sure it wouldn't happen again, I added some insulating spray foam to that section as well as the bottom bit of the hammer.
It's winter here in Utah - well, sort of. New Years was 60 degrees, followed by a week of 20 degrees, then snow (which melted the same day) and so on. Because of this it was difficult to work with the resin and bondo I planned to use for it. I was able to heat up our shed outside, but not fully to a constant 60 degrees. The temperature is still playing games with me as we speak, so here's hoping it decides what it wants to do and sticks to it.
Meantime, I was able to resin the entire hammer:
And then I mixed the resin and bondo for a smoother, easier to work with hardner:
And that's the current progress shot. As soon as I get paid (which is only once a month) I'll be getting a dremel so I can smooth out bumps and drip spots. Hopefully I will be able to smooth some of the edges as well. I might try using tape or something similar to round the heads. We shall see!