I have acquired a rotary tool and woodburning kit! Now I can progress further with the sledge. However, because I'm about to head to my regular day job, I want to let you guys know the progress so far on the armor I'm making to go with it. Here's the reference pic:
I found a set of the pepakura armor via Roadwarrior, and got started. First, I printed the helmet on regular paper and set each piece with white glue. This was not only to try out pepakura (officially my first go) but also to make sure the size was right. It was good that I checked:
Turns out it was very snug with my head, which meant if I did it that size there would be no room for padding, let alone fans or electronics. So I sized it up, sent the print files off to a good friend of mine, and started cutting.
Rather than regale you with a step-by-step, I'll just show you my progress so far:
I still have to do the cod, one more full arm, and each of the pauldrons. The helmet turned out super huge:
Somehow it ended up being almost as big as the chest, so I had to scale it again. Not really looking forward to doing it a third time. Ended up looking fantastic though.
Aaaaaand that's where I'm at. I'll post a progress report page to the site for this and my other builds, so keep an eye out!