After building the foam Titan helmet for Extra Life ATX, they came to me for a second helmet. This was a special helmet for one of their game casters, who plays a Warlock and really liked the Chroma Vow helmet her character was wearing at the time.
For this one, I did a lot of the same things as the rest of my builds, though I started off in a different direction since I couldn't find any proper patterns online anywhere (lack of time meant pep files, but there weren't any out there yet for this one). So, using a standard Warlock helmet file, I opted to attempt to modify it on my own, freehanding the front half.
Unfortunately, I didn't have very much experience freehanding, and should have done something similar to the Original Helmet series I made, and it ended up being misshapen and uneven.
By this time though, someone had finally made a proper pep file, and I was short on time so I adapted it to foam and started again.
(Remember that Titan helmet. It'll be important later!)
Already things were looking much better. I was kind of disappointed that my attempts at making the patterns/freehanding had failed, but glad that the redo worked.
Sooooooo much better! Attached the last of the visor section pieces, then glued everything down. After that, did the hobby knife/heat gun trick to add the finer details.
Did a terrible job at filling the seams with Kwik Seal, then opted to cover the whole thing with Mod Podge since I was out of Plasti Dip at the time.
Painting it was a whole new level of interesting. First with the Mod Podge instead of Plasti Dip, then with a few coats of blue primer, since I was out of any black.
The rest of it was pretty normal, once I could start on the reds. Did the lowest level color first, let it dry, then masked it off and did the next level up with a darker red. After that, more masking, followed by the same gunmetal for the inner visor area and cheek things - what is it with buckles and cheek things, Bungie?
Once that was all set, I masked off the top to do the pattern. The orange went on splendidly; the white not so much. I wasn't expecting it to come out as fast as it did, nor as watery, and as a result it bled a ton. Not a *huge* deal, but it really bugged me at the time. Also painted the fine detail areas.
Then came the final step: weathering! Black washes with acrylic to start off, then I went over spots a bit heavier with black, dark grey, and silver drybrushing. Worked it into the bleeds around the white, to blend it in a bit better. After all that, a few clear coats to seal it all in.
Installed a sheet of smoke grey acrylic inside, so that she could see out of it while she was streaming, and with that I was done! Hope you guys enjoyed this build, it was definitely a learning experience.