Word of warning: this anime is not for the squeemish. I've definitely seen worse, but it does get pretty violent and bloody.
Due to time constraints and a lack of PVC board, we both decided on foam. This was going to a convention and it needed to survive the jammed hallways, and it needed to be light so that it wasn't a burden. I also had about two weeks to do this in, while I was finishing up the Giant Robot build as well, so I cut whatever corners would be safe and did a ton of improvising. Tally ho!
Learned that one from Stan Winston School. [/shameless plug]
Once those were connected, I finished cutting out the rest of the sections.
Each of the sections were glued as before, though I left the front off for the moment until the friend was able to show me how it would connect to the strapping that was being made for the costume. Just like the front box bit, each of the 2" thick sections got a slit cut out to accommodate the sword, and the longer ones on top got a hole cut out for the canisters.
Anyway, I used a hack saw to etch in the segmented bits on the blades, then cut a groove in each grip and used the ever wonderful Titebond 3 to glue the two parts together.
I don't have any pictures of swords being painted (down to the wire at this point so was too rushed to remember) but they got the same treatment as the air canisters: black base, clear coat, then several light dustings of silver metallic.
My description sucks, but I hit up Walmart and found some wall hooks that worked perfectly. Of course, they had some pointlessly massive plastic bits on them I was having a hell of a time deciding how to remove without damaging the metal hooks, but once I got them out of the packaging I discovered a really easy way to take them apart.
So I did.
*cram cram cram*
Of course, that morning while the paint was drying I literally threw together the engine that hangs off the characters' back. Easier than I expected, though not perfect, and I learned a cool trick! First up, the sides.
Marked out and cut two strips of foam, glued them in, then quickly cut out the connection points on the back of each.
From here I was running out of time, so again I only have one other picture, and that's of it assembled. For your sake, I'll tell you what I remember. Inside the circle sections I added small square bits of foam at the same points of the shaped back section. From there, I made a box, a can-like thing with a port on one side, and a quick but effective attachment section to hold it all together.
Quick and dirty description, but here it is!
Sadly, I've only got the one completed picture because I had to immediately hand it off to my friend. I was out of time, and the engine still smelled strongly of paint. There were still a few things that were left to do, but they would be covering those bits. I did leave him with some velcro to make it easier to attach the engine. Anyway, here's the finished product!